Friday 17 February 2012

Love is in the air - Valentines Day 2012

I love Valentines Day - especially as my husband is a true romantic at heart and always likes to do some sort of surprise for me, and this year was no different.

I woke up to my husband bringing me a dozen red roses, a cup of tea and my favourite blueberry muffin. That's certainly a great way to start the day!

We then exchanged our cards and gifts.  Since we have been together, Phil and I do not have any photo albums of us together except for our Wedding album.  In October 2010 we got burgled and one of the things that was taken was our camera along with all our photos (yes, we were that stupid that we hadn't backed all of them up).  I had uploaded our honeymoon photos and a few others, but so many were lost.  I decided that it was about time we had some photo albums to keep.  Using Snapfish I decided to create two photo books - one of our honeymoon and the other of a trip to Eurodisney.  I thought it was something that we could both enjoy.  The books were really easy to create and the end product was brilliant - I'll definitely use them again.  So now we have two hard back books to start our collection off and the plan is to create more books in the future of holidays and special occasions.  I'm already starting to collect photos for a book of Olivia's first year.  Phil had no idea about the photo books and couldn't believe how amazing they turned out and is so pleased that we finally have some photos of us.

Recently I have become rather obsessed with all things Cath Kidson (as you will see soon in future posts) and Phil knew that I liked one of their bags.  I have a gorgeous Louis Vuitton which is currently my every day bag (it was an anniversary present), however I wanted a bag that I could wear across the body especially for when Olivia starts to become more active and I need both my hands free.  I also wanted a bag for the summer months and one that wouldn't get ruined if Olivia had sticky fingers.  When I saw this bag I thought it was perfect and Phil bought it for me as a Valentines present.

I liked the fact that the strap was adjustable so it could be worn as a shoulder bag or across the body.  It also has a zip pocket inside as well as a pocket on the front and a clasp at the front so that the bag remains closed.  Like most of Cath Kidston's bags they are made of oil cloth which means that they can easily be wiped down.

That wasn't the end of my treats though, as Phil had also planned a surprise for the rest of the day.  He had arranged for Olivia to be looked after by Grandma and Grandad (Phil's parents, mine are Nanny and Grandpa).  We then took a long drive in the car whilst I tried to guess where we were going (he took a rather long route to our final destination so that I couldn't tell where we were going).  In the end we arrived at Bluewater (one of my favourite places to go and not too far away from Olivia).  We ate at Yo Sushi!, (a place that we had both wanted to try but hadn't had the opportunity to) and thoroughly enjoyed it.  We sat at the bar and watched all the dishes go past - which they did, as by the time I had worked out what something was, it was gone and I had to wait for it to come past again.  Still it was fun!

We then headed towards the cinema and on collecting the tickets I discovered that we were going to see "The Woman in Black".  This is a film that I had been wanting to see for some time as I love the stage version (which I had seen many times as I teach it for GCSE Drama).  Phil on the other hand had not been too keen as he hadn't quite recovered from seeing the stage version.  I don't think he had quite forgiven me for making him sit in the aisle seat. 


I really enjoyed the film (although the stage version is better) but I can't quite believe that it is a 12a as on several occasions I jumped and at times had to look away.  It is reported that they had to remove 60 seconds of footage in order to make it a 12a and not a 15 (it is believed that they wanted to lower the rating to appeal to more of Daniel Radcliffe's fans as a result of his success in the Harry Potter films).  The ending was also different to the stage version and I keep changing my mind over which ending I prefer. 

After watching quite an upsetting film about children dying, Phil and I were desperate to see Olivia (especially as it was the longest we had been away from her) and headed back to the Grandparents.  After we had lifted our spirits from having several cuddles, we headed out for dinner to a Mexican restaurant.  When we first arrived the restaurant was quite quiet, but as the night progressed and it got busier, it started to remind us of the film "Valentines Day" when Anne Hathaway's character is on a date with Topher Grace and the restaurant is so packed that they are sat right next to other strangers, so much so that you could hear every word that they were saying.  At this point we quickly paid and headed back to collect Olivia and go home.

I truly had a wonderful Valentines Day especially as Phil had arranged for us to see a film that he did not want to see at all but knew that I really did.  That to me is love.  But as it was the first time since Olivia was born that we were able to have a date and spend quality time together it really was an amazing day.  I love Olivia so much, but I realise now more than ever how important it is to ensure that Phil and I have time together on our own.  Valentines Day may be fun, but it is only one day after all, so we try to keep the romance throughout the rest of the year as well and so far it seems to be working.

No comments:

Post a Comment