Wednesday 22 February 2012

Lent - What are you giving up?

Are you giving up anything for Lent this year?  If you don't know what Lent is then click here for more information (I love Wikipedia - plus they explain it so much better than I can). 

Before I start, this is not a post with me spouting about religion.  Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and the last thing I want is to get into a debate about God versus Science. However every year I like to follow the tradition and give something up for Lent.  Most people tend to give up chocolate or drinking etc but as I'm on a diet already, I didn't want to deprive myself of my one little luxury, plus I rarely drink so that would be too easy. 

After having bought a few beauty items recently (don't worry hubby, I didn't spend a fortune) I thought that this would be something that I could give up.  I have a habit of buying something for example a new shampoo before I've even finished up my old bottle.  This results in half used bottles/items being pushed to the back of my cupboards where I either forget about them or they go off.  On Youtube their was a tag a couple of years ago called "Project 10 Pan" where the idea was to use up 10 items before you could buy something new.  For me this wasn't practical as it would take me ages to use up 10 items.  So I thought that I would restrict myself from buying any new items unless I had used one up.  For example, I can't buy a new lipstick unless I have used one up.  For me I thought this would be a more realistic challenge as it would mean that I could replace the products I love to use on a regular basis if they run out (Liz Earle skincare springs to mind), but it would stop me from spontaneously buying new products (and multiple ones at that).

Over the next forty days, hopefully I will be able to use up and rediscover some products that I have disregarded for a while.  You might not think that this is much of a challenge but for me it really is.  It is so easy for me to go and buy a new lipgloss when actually I don't need a new one as I have so many (I know that this will make my hubby very happy to read this). 

Just so you know, and so you don't think I've cheated, I do have a couple of beauty hauls coming up soon, one for Soap & Glory, Topshop and the other for L'Oreal but these were bought a week or so ago. 

I will keep you updated on my progress so look out for future posts and who knows if it goes well over the next forty days, then perhaps I might continue with it for a while. 

Let me know if you have given up anything for Lent, and if you have, good luck!

1 comment:

  1. that sounds like a brilliant thing to give up for lent. I too have taken up the challenge of Lent. I have decided to give up snacking between meals, so easy to do as a student! (I'm sure you'll agree) and have also started trying to go for a jog or bike ride, on days when I am not in uni doing dance, so 3 times a week and that inturn makes sure that I get out the house if I don't have any particular reason too. =]

    Good luck with your lenten Promise. Will be praying for you x

    ReplyDelete