Thursday 1 March 2012

February Beauty Favourites 2012

I do not have a lot of new favourites this month I'm afraid, as I'm still loving the products mentioned in my January Beauty Favourites.  But I thought I'd still share a couple of things that I've been particularly enjoying this month.


I've been a lot more minimalist with my makeup lately and I've been trying to achieve a more natural glow.  Blusher is one product that I feel can achieve this as it really helps to warm the skin.  Usually I go for Mac's Melba blush for a more natural cheek, however this month I've been reaching for Estee Lauder's Tender Blush in Rose Wood (No 13) which is a rosey/mauve colour.  Unfortunately this blush has been discontinued but you might still be able to find it or one similar to it.   
Rose Wood is on the left
This compact came as part of a Christmas limited edition gift set a couple of years ago.  This is a matte blusher which is fairly pigmented and gives a nice warm flush to the cheeks and is perfect for Winter.  It is always worth keeping an eye out for Estee Lauder compacts as this is perfect for travelling with as it comes with a decent sized mirror, two blushes, a bronzer and a brush (although I never use these brushes it's always good to have for touch ups).

My next favourite is an eye look which I have been wearing almost every day throughout February.  All the eye shadows can be found in the Urban Decay Naked Palette (probably my favourite palette of all time).  I start by priming my eyes with Two Faced Shadow Insurance and then add a small amount of Mac's Bare study Paint Pot over the top,  I use both of these as they help to keep my eye shadows in place all day as well as enhancing the colour.  I then apply Sin all over the lid and blend Naked just above the crease.  I then take a small amount of Buck and blend it into the outer corner, feathering inwards a long the crease. 
L-R
Virgin, Sin, Naked, Sidecare, Buck
Sometimes if I want a more subtle eye I will leave it and just use Virgin to highlight the brow bone and inner corner of the eye.  However if I want to add a little more depth, I take Smog (a beautiful bronze colour) and put a small amount in the outer corner and feather lightly along the outer crease.  I then line the outer half of the lower lash line to give the look more intensity.

L-R
Buck, Half Baked, Smog, Darkhorse, Toasted
 Below are some swatches of the main four shadows that I use.

L-R
Buck, Naked, Sin, Smog
This eye combination works beautifully with my brown eyes however I think it would be suitable for all eye colours as well.  I love this palette and at the moment I tend to be reaching for it on a daily basis and ignoring all of my other eye shadows, which I must stop doing as I have so many others.  But the Urban Decay shadows are brilliant as they are so pigmented and are really easy to blend - why would I want to use anything else?
If I've not been using Mac's Tinted Lip Conditioner in Petting Pink (as mentioned in my January Beauty Favourites) then I've tended to gravitate towards the following lip combination.  I apply Mac's Creme Cup lipstick (which is a cremesheen finish) lightly over the lips and then apply Mac's Baby Sparks Dazzleglass over the top.  I use to love Dazzleglasses and I have quite a few of them, however this is the only colour that I seem to use now as it is a wearable baby pink (with pink and blue shimmer/glitter) without having too much glitter like some of the others.  As I'm getting older, I've started to like a more natural but glossy lip.  This lip combination works brilliant for day or night and can be paired with either a natural eye or one that is slightly more dramatic, so for me this is perfect.


This swatch was taken without a flash so I'm afraid it is not great but it gives you an idea of what the colours look like.  As you can see from the picture below, the lipgloss is fairly thick and it is very sticky so if you don't like that feeling on your lips then I would avoid this, however the plus side is that it does last longer on the lips so you don't have to keep reapplying it.

My last beauty favourite for February is Sudocrem.  Recently I've had the odd blemish on my face and so I've been reaching for this product and applying it over any redness at night before I go to bed.  The next morning, the blemish has either completely gone or become significantly smaller with hardly any redness left.  A true winner and something that I will constantly repurchase and use time and time again.

Other non-beauty favourites this month have been Cath Kidston.  I've really discovered their products this month and currently I have a long list of things that I would like to get.  I also have a review of one of their changing bags coming up in a future post so look out for that. If you like floral prints with a countryside flair then you will probably love her things, I know I do.  They sell a variety of things from clothing, accessories as well as things for the home and more so it is definitely worth checking out if you haven't already. 
 
My other favourite this month has been American TV shows.  I have especially been loving Ringer at the moment as well as The Secret Circle and Hart of Dixie.  Also previous favourites such as Gossip Girl, Greys Anatomy and Vampire Diaries have just returned to our screens following a mid-season break.  Our Sky box at the moment is looking rather full from all the shows that I've been recording, but as our nights are mostly spent in looking after Olivia, it gives us something to watch.  Plus Phil doesn't mind watching them either which is a bonus for me.
 
I've been loving some more products this month, but as it was towards the end of February I thought that I would include them in next months beauty favourites.  So you will just have to wait until then to find out what they are.
 

2 comments:

  1. Hay lovely as your blog is so sweet, I have nominated you for a Versatile blogger award. Check out my blog to see what its all about! :)

    http://lovemakeupfashionlife.blogspot.com/2012/03/thank-you-so-muchlizabellafor-versatile.html

    take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Mac lip gloss! I got a few for Christmas one year and loved the.

    Amy

    fashionandbeautyfinds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete