Monday 27 February 2012

Glossybox - February 2012

Last month I posted about the January Glossybox which was a Valentines Day limited edition box.  This month it is back to the traditional dusty pink box containing products that reflect London Fashion Week (23-26 February).

If you are unfamiliar to Glossybox, it's a monthly subscription where you receive 5 or 6 luxury product miniatures (some of which may be full size) from high-end brands every month.  You just register to create an account and subscribe to receive your first Glossybox.  The box is sent directly to your door every month and will allow you to test out new products in the comfort of your own home. You can also provide product feedback in order to receive Glossydots which you can collect in order to claim a free box.  The box also contains product information, application notes and tips and tricks about beauty and style. It gives you the chance to try new perfumes, make up, body and care products of high-end and niche brands some of which you may not have heard of or tried otherwise.  The beauty box costs £10.00 per month (plus p+p).

This is the traditional box that you will receive each month which is a dusty pink colour with the Glossybox logo on the front.


There was a little more literature than usual in this months box.  It had the standard product information card that tells you where you can buy the products, how much they cost and any discounts that are available to you if you want to purchase the products.  But it also contained a flyer about London Fashion Week with a 15% discount code for tickets. 


The last item was a small business card that says "Expect The Unexpected" and to log on to the site from the 24th February for more information.  When you log on you see the following image:


Every day when you click on the box you receive an individual letter that spells a clue about the mystery box.  So far I have received the letters D, G, and I.  I think that the box may have something to do with designer, but that is just a guess and I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

Back to this months box and as usual the products were beautifully wrapped.


Finally let's take a peak inside this months Glossybox.


1. Duwop Venom Gloss in Buttercup £16 / 10.4ml:  This doesn't look like anything much in the tube but on application the product is quite sheer and gives a nice neutral sheen to the lips with gold reflex.  It causes a light tingling to the lips (due to the venom) which I'm not really a fan of and the product has quite a strong sweet smell which becomes slightly sickly after a while.  I have so many lip glosses that this wouldn't be one that I would reach for on a regular basis but it might be pretty as a top coat to tone down a stronger lip.  The product is also very sticky, so I definitely won't be wearing this on a windy day as I'd rather my hair wasn't stuck to my lips.

2. Impress Press on manicure £17.40 / Set:  I have my nails done professionally, so I never use press on nails.  But even if I did, these would not be something that I would try, purely down to the colour which is neon orange (the picture doesn't quite capture the true colour as it is much brighter).  This is a new product that claims on application to last up to a week.  The packaging is innovative as it looks like a nail polish bottle and keeps the nails contained so you won't lose them, but sadly this will not be a product that I'll be trying. I would have prefered to have received a nail varnish as at least I could wear it on my toes, but I never wear press-on-nails so I am rather disappointed with this product.

3. Paul Mitchell Quick Slip £14.25 / 150ml:  This is a styling cream that claims to p
rovide flexible hold and definition, s
hields vulnerable strands from the sun and s
peeds up drying time while it conditions and protects.  It also contains s
oftening conditioners and UV protection to leave hair looking and feeling healthy.  I have yet to try this product, but it is definitely something that I will try as I love experimenting with products claiming to protect your hair.  The product has a thick creamy consistancy (like most conditioners) and the inclusion of a pump means that you can control the amount being used without wasting any product.  It has the same scent that can be found in other Paul Mitchell products which is quite strong and sweet (to me it smells like fabric softener).

4. BM Beauty Pure Mineral Eyeshadow in Wolf Howl £7 / 2g:  I am not the biggest fan of mineral eyeshadows, purely for the fact that I have a tendency to spill them.  I received the colour Wolf Howl which is an iredescent midnight blue colour.   I tend to wear more neutral eyeshadows however I would probably wear this to line my lower lash line to add a pop of colour. 

5. Como Shambhala Invigorate Shower Gel £20 / 300ml: I have so many bath/shower products at the moment that I didn't really need a new shower gel (I'm currently trying to use up a large bottle of Snow Fairy by Lush).  However this 50ml bottle would be perfect for travelling so I know I will use it at some point.  It is described as being an invigorating shower gel which contains a blend of essential oils (eucalptus, geranium, lavender and peppermint) which are designed to uplift your mood.  You can really smell the lavender and peppermint especially in this product and the smell reminds me of Turkish Delight.  I wouldn't pay £20 normally for a shower gel so I don't think I'll be repurchasing this as there are some brilliant alternatives for a lot less money, but it's always nice to try out something new and a little different.

My initial impression....

Some nice products, but generally a little disappointed, especially with the colour choices of the lipgloss, eyeshadow and press-on-nails in particular.  I'm looking forward to seeing what will be in next months Mystery Box - hopefully it'll be something exciting!

If you would like to read future posts relating to Glossybox then please subscribe.

No comments:

Post a Comment